The Awareness of Blind Cord Safety Foundation is a grassroots child safety initiative that aims to raise awareness of the potential dangers of corded window coverings.
Advocating safer environments for kids by creating informed communities.
- Accountability – it is our responsibility to always teach the importance of keeping cords out of reach of children and recommending cordless and “child safe” options where small children live and frequent.
- Collaboration – Uniting in this child safety awareness initiative is key for the window blind industry and the consumer and our goal is to facilitate in bridging the gap.
- Education – We aren’t shy about discussing why corded window blinds can be potentially dangerous. We also encourage everyone to keep their eyes just a little bit more open for those who don’t know of the potential danger of corded window coverings. If we all teach Awareness of Blind Cord Safety, then eventually most people will know their ABCs!
- Community – We want to engage the community in our efforts by creating safety events and attending fairs, conventions and actively participating in social media websites.
- Safety – Each of us at the ABCS Foundation are dedicated individuals, who each have firsthand experience in the window covering industry. We are committed to serving our communities and providing accurate, accessible and easy-to-understand information on making your environment safer for children.
President, Chantal Teraberry (Weslea’s Mom)
Before becoming a child safety advocate, being a mom to three girls was first and foremost. Today, as part of the window covering industry and having a hand in molding this industry, her primary goal is to raise awareness so that another mom/family doesn’t have to live without their child because they didn’t know about the potential danger.
Vice President – Rick Carlan
Rick has over 30 years in the window covering industry and is the founder of NBI (Nationwide Blind Installation), America’s only independent subcontract window covering installer network. Having a plethora of connections and resources at his fingertips, and a flair for networking plus his dedication for the cause make him a welcome addition to the ABCS.
Treasurer – Mike Marthaler
Mike an installer by trade, founded Blind Installation and Repair and also has 30 plus years of experience in the window covering industry. Mike was instrumental in establishing the ABCS, he also has key connections to the window covering industry and drives us toward success
Secretary – Jami Herrmann
Jami has been a home owner for 15 years and never paid any attention to the blinds until she started working at Blind Installation & Repair, Inc in 2013. Jami feels that the ABCS Foundation is where she can help families learn what she never knew before working in the industry. She has always been driven to help people, and hoped to someday be a part of a non-profit organization.